Friday, April 9, 2010

From Page to Librarian

First I figure I'll introduce myself. My name is Nick Madsen, and I'm the young adult librarian for the Hayden Library in Hayden, Idaho. I was hired at the beginning of February, and I’m trying to get some teen programming off of the ground. For a few years now, Karen Yother, our Youth Services Director, has wanted to get some programming started. Unfortunately, it fell by the wayside because there just aren't enough hours in a day. So, when one of our children's outreach librarians had to retire, there was a vacancy for another position. Karen discussed the position of a young adult librarian with the director of the Hayden Library, John Hartung, and the assistant director Larry Almeida. All three decided that a young adult librarian position was the best use of those vacant hours.

You might be wondering how I fit into this picture. Well, I've been working at the Hayden Library for the past three years. I started as a page (a person who shelves and organizes incoming books) and then added a few more hours by helping out in the Children's area as a youth services assistant. I’ve cut out crafts, come up with programming ideas, dressed up as a fairy king, become Captain Book, read stories, made posters, hung Christmas decorations, and many other odd and awesome tasks. Last summer, I also got a chance to start a summer reading program for 10 to 14 year olds. We got to do tie-dye shirts, puppets, and even some sowing. Karen, John, and Larry apparently liked the work I did, and have given me the opportunity to start tween and teen programming, and I’m looking forward to the challenge, and the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment