Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What would you give up to fit in?

Well here we are on my first real Book Blurt blog post. I’m kind of excited. This week’s edition is on Jerry Spinelli’s Stargirl, which was written in 2000, and published by Scholastic. As I shelved books for the past couple years, there were several books that would always catch my eye and I would think, “Man, I want to read that.” Then the next thought would be, “I don’t have time.” Stargirl was one of those books. As I mentioned in my last Book Blurt post, the reason I’m actually reading books right now is to get familiar with the collection. It’s a good thing too, because I’m really enjoying the books that I’ve been able to read so far. I actually enjoy reading quite a bit; it’s just that I need some motivation to do it. Getting familiar with the collection is that motivation, so I’m thinking I’ll be happily reading YA books for a long time to come.

Anyways, I really enjoyed Stargirl. Spinelli is one of those authors that writes books that are a little bit out of the ordinary, which makes them exceptional and confusing at the same time. This book is written through the eyes of high school junior, Leo, who directs the school’s TV show. The book begins with a new girl coming onto the scene; a girl like no one has seen before. Her name is Stargirl. She plays a ukulele, sings “Happy Birthday” to everyone on their birthday even though she is never told when their birthday is, and has a pet rat. Kids at the school are utterly confused by her for a time, and then they just get annoyed. Why does she have to be so different? Why doesn’t she fit in? Is it because she doesn’t like us? Just about this time, Stargirl tells Leo that she likes him. Leo is torn between liking Stargirl, and being liked by the rest of the school who have exiled Stargirl for all intensive purposes.

I really enjoyed the oddness of this book. I also enjoyed the discussions on fitting in. What does it take to fit in? Why do we do it? It also made you think about what you are willing to give up in order to fit in. There are also some very funny parts to the book, and some really cool scenes as Stargirl and Leo get to know each other. My only caution is as follows. The book carries a “one with nature” worldview throughout the entire book. It isn’t the point of the book, but Stargirl’s actions and beliefs springs from that kind of worldview, and that comes across in her talks with Leo and the things she does. Other than that, I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick and interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment