Thursday, September 15, 2011

Picture Book, Movie, or Novel?

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Why did I read it?

This is a book that has caught my eye for a couple years now. I heard it was a combination of text and pictures to tell the story, but I never found the time to read it. So, when one of my Master's classes required me to read all the Caldecott Medal winners from 1990-2009, I got to read it (it won the medal in 2008).

What happened?

Hugo works on the clocks at a Paris train station, without anyone realizing it is him. Technically, it is his drunken uncle who is supposed to be keeping the clocks ticking, but his uncle disappeared a while back. So, now its just Hugo, and the automaton that belonged to his father. Several years before, Hugo's father died in an accidental museum fire, and Hugo believes his father has left him a message in the automaton. Striving to get the automaton working again, Hugo steals from an old toy maker, who eventually catches him and takes the notebook that he was using to rebuild the automaton. Why did the old man want the notebook? Is there more to this old toy maker than Hugo knows?

What did I like or not like?

This was a fascinating book to read. In addition to mixing text and pictures, it also had elements of a graphic novel, picture book, novel, and a black and white movie. Apart from the interesting way it is written, the story itself is an interesting examination of dreams, purpose, film, magic, and family. I really enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment