Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Prezi: Make Your Presentations Zoom!

Last week I talked about Slideshare and the awesome stuff you can do with PowerPoints. This week I'm going to chat about Prezi, and the awesome stuff you can do without PowerPoints.

When I was still working on my Bachelor degree in Communication Arts (which was almost 2 full years ago which is weird!) one of the final requirements was presenting our research at two different conferences. Instead of creating a PowerPoint, I had heard about Prezi from some library coworkers, and couldn't resist trying it out. Even though it didn't take too long to create, I got quite a few compliments on the Prezi (apparently some of the upgrades didn't allow the entirety of my design choices to be saved).

While PowerPoints have their place, even the most well-organized PowerPoint, with the coolest transitions, can still blend into the wave of PowerPoints that are created. So, I suggest mixing your typical presentations with some Prezi action.

How do I explain Prezi...hmmm? Start by thinking of a digital whiteboard. Now change that white background to something cool like a picture of a lake, or a gradient from white to blue. Now insert your text anywhere, any size, any direction, and just let Prezi know which order the text comes in. Prezi will start at your first point, and then zoom over to your next point.

Instead of creating presentations that are based on one slide here, another there, Prezi works with the idea of three-dimensional digital space to fundamentally change the presentation experience. Want another example? Here is a Prezi that I made for my Basics of Technology class.

No comments:

Post a Comment