Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chopsticks: Love (F)or the Piano

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral

Why did I read it?

A photo as the cover caught my attention, and then I realized that the entire novel was told in pictures and scrapbook style pages. Legit!

What happened?

Glory was always fantastic at playing the piano. Her father has been training her since she was a very little girl, and at age 15, she is already playing sold-out concerts in fancy venues. But, Glory is lonely. Her mother also died when she was very young, and music is all she has now.

That is, until Frank moves in next door. He's the bad boy; the guy who messages her late at night, the guy making her mix tapes, and the guy that brings her out of her music back into the real world.

But, Glory's Dad has other plans. He'd rather have her focus on her music instead of some guy next door. Whisking her away to Europe seems like the best way to get her back on track. But, will she ever be able to give her entire life to music again when she would rather give it to Frank?

What did I like or not like?

The idea of having an entire novel told through photographs was pretty awesome. It isn't done too often, and the photographs themselves are awesome! The entire book felt very artistic, which fit with Glory's pursuing a piano career, but it also felt homemade and down-to-earth.

The only drawback for me was that you weren't exactly sure how the story ended. I have some assumptions and I think the story leads up to what I think happened. But it is one of those ones that you can't be entirely sure about.

I think you should read it and then tell me how you think it ended =D

P.S. There is a little bit of language and nude pencil sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment