Friday, July 23, 2010

Another Post about Flying Time?

Another fine Friday, wouldn’t you say? I once again find it so amusing to think that another week is already over. What did I do this week? Turns out a whole bunch. Not only at work, but at my church and at my school. If I’m not at work, I’m doing homework, planning some things as the Chairperson of the Student Body Government at Lewis Clark State College-CDA, or helping with a new program at my church. Needless to say, keeping myself this busy makes the weeks pass very quickly.

Not only do I find it amazing that the weeks are passing so quickly, I’m also finding it amazing that the summer has passed so quickly. We are already to the 23rd of July. That’s weird. In about a month I’ll be starting the fall semester of my senior year at LCSC-CDA. How am I already a month away from the end of summer? Even though we’re almost through July, we have some fun things still coming up before we kiss the summer of 2010 goodbye.

This week is the end of most of our Tween programs. I had my last Open Game Friday this morning, and our last Ka-Boom Science Experiments is this Monday. While these two programs are ending, we still have two more weeks of Tween Summer Reading. This week, we are doing Art Cards. You’re probably thinking that Art Cards could mean a lot of things. For our purposes, Art Cards are small collages that we will be making using stamps, markers, magazine clippings, and anything else we can find. A week after Art Cards, we are going to be ending our Tween Summer Reading program with a Beach Party. That means having some cooky games and some hot dogs and having a great time.

A week from today we are having our Free Concert with the CDA Rock School. If you enjoy listening to rock music in the slightest, you should be at the Hayden Library from 7pm to 9pm next Friday. Karen and I attended a CDA Rock School concert just before school ended, and it was amazing. There are some very talented young people playing classic rock tunes. Makes for a great time!

Just a couple weeks after the CDA Rock School, Whilce Portacio is coming up. I still think it is crazy that a major Marvel Comics illustrator is coming to the Hayden Library, but it is happening. Whilce will be doing a Q & A session, as well as offering some tips on getting into the comics business. You can also bring in your comic books and graphic novels for Whilce to autograph.

For the last couple of weeks, we have had a few teens come in having read 25 hours. This summer, we have been giving away prizes for reading. I knew what my prizes were for 5, 10, and 15 hours, but I have just figured out our prize for 25 hours this week. So basically this is how it works. If you read 25 hours, you get another free book, some prizes from our prize stash, and 1 ticket for our Borders Gift Card drawing.

For every five hours read over 25 hours you will get another ticket for our gift card drawing. So another ticket at 30 hours, another ticket at 35 hours, and so on. The more hours you read, the more chances you have to win. There is no limit to how many hours you can read, or how many tickets you can have in the gift card drawing.

So, there you have it. Summer might be 2/3 over, but there is still plenty of fun to have at the Hayden Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment