Friday, October 1, 2010

My Literacy Breaks

Welcome to October! How is school going for everybody?

Well there were no school librarian meetings or blood donations this week, but that doesn’t mean we weren’t having plenty of fun. Miss Cassie does a literacy playgroup every Friday from 10:30 to 12:00. Over the summer I had a chance to help out at the program. It was loads of fun; reading board books on the floor, playing with puppets, doing some crafts. Anyways, Miss Cassie had a meeting to get to last Friday, so I got to do part of literacy playgroup. Nothing like reading a big book and saying high to our youngest patrons for a little while.

Speaking of early literacy, I am also getting the chance to go to the Kinder Center once a month. Kinder Center is where most of the kindergarten kids from this area attend school, and we at the Hayden Library are working on partnering with them. We head into the library, the teachers bring their kids in, we do a quick storytime, and then the kids go back to their regular school day. But, it’s funny how things that you know you are going to do still sneak up on you. I knew that I was helping at Kinder Center, that it was the first Friday of every month, and that it started in October. For some reason, all of those facts didn’t add up to the fact that I was starting Kinder Center TODAY! Luckily for me, I have colleagues that remind me of things when I’m being ridiculous. Thanks Cassie and Karen!

Also speaking of younger kids, I’m getting a chance to help at Mountain States Early Head Start every month. They are starting a new program called Men and Kids. This program is targeted for fathers and their kiddos, and myself being the only male in the youth services staff, I get the opportunity to head over there. This past week we made applesauce and our own pizzas. Good stuff!

Moving into a little older group, one of the fifth grade teachers in our area approached me about helping with a reading club. Reading clubs are obviously fabulous, and having a partnership with a school will keep the program going, and help the kids as they learn. I love it when you are looking for community partners, and community partners are looking for you.

Well none of this stuff really pertains to young adults (except the fifth graders who are getting close to my targeted age group). But, it’s a part of my job that I wouldn’t give up. Most of my duties pertain to organizing, promoting, and running t(w)een programs, and I’m lovin’ it; but if that flow is interrupted by reading books or making applesauce with a toddler, I’m also lovin’ that!

If you have an opinion about the Twilight series, check out my book blurt this Wednesday. Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment