Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Savvys on the Bus...

Savvy by Ingrid Law

Why did I read it?

Would you believe that this is actually a book I started before the winter break? This was one of the last titles we were supposed to read for my master's class...but it seems time gets away from me around the holidays...

But, our programs started back up this week, and I wanted to make sure that my social media started back up too, so, I figured I'd finish this one off.

What happened?

Mississippi (Mibs) Beaumont lives in a family with special talents, called savvys, that show up on your thirteenth birthday. Most of her brother's birthdays had a few large hiccups, like a lighting storm or hurricane, as they discovered their hidden talents for the first time. But, instead of a storm front for her birthday, Mibs finds out that her father is in a coma after a car accident, and she can't even go see him because it happened a couple cities away.

The next day, after a hibernating turtle that looked dead wakes up, she can't help the funny feeling that her savvy might be to wake things or people up. Armed with that knowledge, Mibs sneaks aboard a bus heading toward her father. There are only a couple of problems. The bus has deliveries that have to be made, the bus driver doesn't know she's there, any ink on someone else's skin talks to her, and two of her brothers and two friends sneak aboard the bus with her. Nothing that bad could happen, right?

What did I like or not like?

The quirkiness of the characters and situations makes for an interesting read, and I enjoy stories with characters that have "special talents." There is also a nice theme of growing up, making decisions, and using the talents that you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment