Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Daybreak and Broxo: Some Zombie Stories

Daybreak by Brian Ralph and Broxo by Zack Giallongo

Why did I read it?

Daybreak: I referenced this book in my Teen Literature class for my Master's in Information and Library Science.
Broxo: It was an advanced reader copy that looked interesting.

What happened?

Daybreak: Your eyes snap open and you see a one-armed man walking toward you. He mentions that you don't want to be out in the open when night falls, so you follow him. After grabbing some food and meeting his dog, you settle in for the night. But sleep won't be easy with a horde of the undead outside...nor will surviving...

Broxo: Princess Zora has traveled way too long for her quest to be this pointless! Hoping to open negotiations with one of her fellow tribes, Zora had traveled for many months only to find the supposed home of the clan abandoned. All she finds instead is a lone warrior named Broxo, who has become accustomed to the harsh landscape and random undead that make life interesting. Even though Broxo doesn't seem to mind, Zora can't rest until she finds out what happened to the missing clan, and the real secret behind these monsters.

What did I like or not like?

You might be wondering why I put 2 reviews into 1 post this week. First of all, I'm taking a break for the holidays, so I figured I'd give you 2 books to try and hold you over lol.

The other reason was even though I heartily enjoyed both books, there wasn't a whole lot to make a review out of. The stories aren't too long, so I didn't want to give too much of the plot away.

But here are some things I can tell you. Both are graphic novels, and both include the undead, but that is really the only similarity between them. Daybreak is first person perspective (in a graphic novel which is cool), and Broxo is third person. Daybreak is more realistic fiction/sci-fi, and Broxo is more fantasy. Daybreak has a very limited color palette, and Broxo has a very lively color palette.

You know how sometimes you read a book and it wasn't necessarily heart-wrenching, hilarious, thought-provoking, or amazing, but was still enjoyable to read and worth your time? That is how I would categorize these 2 titles.

Let me know what you think when you read them, and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment