Tuesday, August 20, 2013

SleepCycle and Sleep as Android: Bio-Alarm Clocks on your Device

So does anyone else out there not have enough time to sleep? Well, that probably isn't the right question. Does anyone else out there not allow themselves enough time to sleep?

How much sleep you decide to deprive yourself of is your prerogative, but there are two apps that seem like they might help people like you and me. SleepCycle is the version for iPhone, and Sleep as Android is the one for the Android. Basically, these apps use your devices' accelerometer to track and measure your sleep cycles.

Not a big deal, right? Except that it knows when you are in your lightest sleep phase, and slowly wakes you up with soothing sounds or tunes during that time so it is easier to wake up. You might ask, "If it is going off of sleep cycles, won't it wake me up too late?" Not so much. You tell the app the absolute latest that you can get up, and it will wake you in your lightest phase as close to that time as possible.

Now, I haven't tried this app myself (as I only have a dumb phone and a Walkman), but I mentioned it to a friend who said it totally worked (and who really enjoys the wake-up sounds). I figure that I'll give it a go once I have a smart device because I wouldn't mind softly drifting into the land of the living instead of being forcefully extracted from my beauty sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment