Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mockingjay: When An Author Stays True to Her World...

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Why did I read it?

Because I literally had to start the third book once Catching Fire ended lol

What happened?

SPOILER ALERTS

Unbelievably, much to the chagrin of the capitol, both Katniss and Peeta once again survived their time in the Hunger Games. But, this time Katniss didn't escape by threatening to eat some poisoned berries. She escaped by destroying the force field encasing the arena, and was rescued by District 13 hovercrafts!

Unbeknownst to Katniss, and the rest of Panem, District 13 was not destroyed at the conclusion of the rebellion seventy-five years ealier. Instead, they moved completely underground, and have been waiting for their opportunity to once again challenge the Capitol. Katniss was just the figurehead they needed for all-out war on their persecuters.

There are only a couple of problems. Katniss isn't sure she wants to be a pawn in District 13 hands,  Peeta was captured by the Capitol, and with each step she takes, she is more unsure who she can really trust, and whether or not she, or anyone she cares about, will get out of this alive.

What did I like or not like?

Let me say here that this is NOT a happy trilogy. There is a semi-happy ending, but there is a lot of death, dying, suffering, questions, betrayals, and sacrifice that lead up to it.

But let me also say here that this trilogy blew me away with how awesome it was! I got done reading and all I could think was how amazing the storyline ultimately was. Each choice, each small circumstance affected everything else, and the characters were absolutely realistic and true to the last page.

Many people I have talked to about the trilogy say the third book was violent just for the sake of being violent, and that Suzanne Collins didn't have to make many of the choices that she did. More people could have survived!

But, this is my take on it: Suzanne was just being true to the world that she created. From the very first chapter of The Hunger Games, Suzanne created a dangerous, violent, unfair and chaotic world, and when the stakes went up, these things took their affect as well; with disatrous consequences.

I've also had friends who disagree with the books themselves. They don't agree with the thought of young adults killing each other being seen as entertainment.

Here is my take on that: While The Hunger Games are entertainment, and are hugely popular, they don't view death and killing as entertainment, and they also don't condone it. The characters in Suzanne's world have to deal with these realities, but with every chance they get, they strive to remove these atrocities from their world.

So, those are my quick thoughts on an awesome trilogy. If you have other ideas, hit me up on Facebook, Twitter, or leave a comment below. Or, you could track me down at the Hayden Library, and I'll be more than willing to spend a very long time chatting about this series with you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment