Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fanboy and Goth Girl: You're Not Alone

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga

Why did I read it?

This novel has showed up on multiple teen lists that I keep track of, so when I had a long drive to a library training ahead of me, I figured I'd get the CD book and listen to it. 

What happened?

Donnie sometimes wishes that all the jock jerks in his school would get killed by some terrorists. For absolutely no reason they trip him, beat him up, pick on him, and generally make his life miserable.

That isn't the only thing; his Mom doesn't get him at all, and the step-fascist (his Mom's new husband) got her pregnant. Now he has to hear about all the terrible things that he is doing in the context of what a terrible older brother (step-brother!) he is going to be.

The only thing that makes his life worth living is the graphic novel he is working on. Donnie is convinced that this graphic novel is the key to getting out of his small town, and show all those jock idiots who is really the boss.

Enter Kyra, the weird Goth chick who loves his graphic novel and hates the jocks as much as he does. They would be a perfect team...if she wasn't possibly serious about killing the jocks and have some disturbing problems in her own past as well.

What did I like or not like?

This book dragged me in and wouldn't let me go. Lyga does an excellent job showing two troubled characters who might have problems with each other, but still find comfort in each other's presence and direction.

Ultimately, Donnie finds that he isn't as alone as he once thought, and if you want to find out more about Kyra, you can read my post next week about Goth Girl Rising.

P.S. There is language and sexual references throughout this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment