Friday, April 16, 2010

To blog, or not to blog...which is a cliche, but too much fun to use

So here’s to another week as a young adult librarian. I figured I’d mention why I started this blog.

First of all, starting a blog just seems obvious in this tech savvy world that we now inhabit. As many organizations, businesses, and libraries have realized, the internet is a great resource to connect with your patrons, and is able to deliver content in a whole new way.

Secondly, Karen Yother, the Youth Services Director at the Hayden Library, has just gotten back from a month of traveling all over the country to different conferences. Most of the conferences had workshops on utilizing new technology, and the benefits it brings.

Finally, I’ve been poking my head around, researching what a young adult librarian should be doing. As I’ve read magazines and found information online, I keep finding a common thread; start using the internet. For these reasons, I’ve started several accounts online, including Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Library 2.0, and now this blog.

But, as my communication theory instructor said yesterday, everybody has a blog. If everybody has a blog, then mine might get lost in the plethora of digital voices out there. It might. But, I hope that my web log will find some people interested to listen, and if not, I’ll at least be gaining some experience in the digital world, and hopefully a few readers can have some fun with me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment