Friday, February 18, 2011

Augmented Reality

Last week, I mentioned my involvement with SPLAT (Special Project Library Action Team), and there is a really cool technology that SPLAT brought to my attention. It’s called augmented reality. Basically, a web cam and QR codes (a special barcode that is two-dimensional instead of one dimensional) allows a two-dimensional object in real space to become a three dimensional object on a computer monitor. It’s cool to say the least. You can check out a video demonstration here.

Speaking of cool stuff, I once again had the chance to do a Ka-Boom: Science Experiments program this past Monday. We had a great group of kids show up, and we had fun experimenting with magnets, static electricity and attraction (obviously, attraction is the principle behind magnetism and static electricity, but it also seemed so appropriate for Valentine’s day hehe).

I’ve been mentioning the Teens and Technology Course that I’m involved with, and this past week I fulfilled another one of the course requirements. As participants, we are going to create a booktrailer with a group of teens, and this past week I went down to a Canfield Middle School and met with their video production class. The class does a live video announcement broadcast several times a week, and they are considering doing booktrailers as a story. Originally, I thought we’d create a booktrailer at a special event, but having students create booktrailers as part of their school assignments works just as well for me. The teacher was also excited about doing booktrailers with some of her other classes, which is exciting for us. The whole idea of Teens and Technology is to encourage the use of technology and information about technology, so I’m really liking the way this partnership is shaping up.

In another school this week, I was helping out at a Geography club. Skyway Elementary is having a geography bee in late March, and Karen and I are helping to prepare the kids for the event. For the next few weeks, we’ll be playing games, looking at atlases, and asking questions to prepare kids for the local bee. The life of a librarian is a funny thing, because I know very little about Geography (as Karen can attest to) and yet I’m still able to help kids out through the information available to them. Should be a good time!

Last thing, you still have one more week to enter in our Library Teen Film Festival! Get your entry forms to a participating library, and get those videos posted to YouTube.

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment