Wednesday, June 29, 2011

BeastNYC in the Subway

Beastly by Alex Flinn
Why did I read it?
There is a buzz around this book right now because of the movie that just came out. But, I actually started going for Cloaked which is another modern fairy tale that Alex Flinn just finished. I wasn't quite sure which fairy tale Cloaked was based on, so I figured I'd enjoy it more than Beauty and the Beast which I've heard a million times. But, I was wrong. Beastly was awesome!
What happened?
Kyle Kingsbury has it all. He has a gorgeous girlfriend, as much money as he could possibly need, and a famous father. Born into all this awesomeness, Kyle doesn't even notice all the people that he hurts with his selfishness. That is, until he ticks off a witch and gets turned into beast. Thats right! An honest-to-goodness beast, complete with a permanent fur coat, fangs, and razor-sharp claws. Kendra, the witch, gives Kyle two years to find someone who he can truly love, and can truly love him in return. Exiled to a modern castle by his father (who is interested more in appearances than his son), Kyle looses hope of a normal life. Until a thief stumbles into his greenhouse and gives Kyle a chance with his daughter!
What did I like or not like?
Even though this is "a tale as old as time" this modern retelling is really good! Alex does a great job keeping all the plot elements there while still giving them a fresh perspective. I think the theme of loving someone for who they are instead of how they look still strikes true and I enjoyed every minute of it.
P.S. I just watched the movie last night and really enjoyed that too. But, it has very little to do with the book. Its kind of like a modern retelling of a modern retelling lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment