Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Artist the Biker can't Ignore

Mars Vol. 1 by Fayumi Soryo
Why did I read it?
As I've mentioned before, I like to vary what I read, and there is nothing more varied than Manga, which reads from right to left instead of from left to right :) I went to a program today, and some kids were asking what I was reading. They thought it was pretty cool that the book read backwards. Mission accomplished! Mars is a graphic novel that is 15 volumes long, but I like the way it begins.
What happened?
Rei is a rebellious bike racer with no fear. Every hot girl waits their turn to be with him, and then he moves on. Kira is a terribly quiet girl who no one is brave enough to talk to. But, something draws them together and them, nor anyone they know, can ignore the connection they have. Rei begins to appreciate Kira's skill as an artist, and Kira starts to realize that Rei is more than just an arrogant, confident punk. Rei protects Kira from a jealous classmate and an advancing teacher, but their friendship becomes even more special and complicated.
What did I like or not like?
I think it's cool that star-crossed lovers and forbidden love cross cultures and languages. This is a story that has been told countless times before. But, reading a Manga version that was originally written in another language is pretty cool.
P.S. There is a teacher who comes onto Kira, and there is some brief discussion of Rei's sleeping with other girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment