Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Dad...The Rat

Beige by Cecil Castellucci

Why did I read it?

I'm a sucker for an interesting cover. I've wondered by this book many times on the shelves, so I figured I'd read it and see what it was about.

What happened?

Katy and her mom are a tight team. Her dad lives in Los Angeles, and hasn't been in the picture since she was a little girl. But, Katy is in for a bummer of a two weeks when her mom goes to Machu Picchu and sends her to spend the time with her dad. As if it isn't bad enough that her mom went to an archeological dig without her, Katy and her dad have absolutely nothing in common. He's a loud, ex-drug addict who is trying to make another go at being a drummer with his band Suck, and she is quiet, loves silence, and can't stand his brand of music. To add insult to injury, The Rat (her dad) has bribed an aspiring musician to "hang out" with her for the two weeks, and she and Lake (the bribee) have absolutely nothing in common either.

What did I like or not like?

As music plays a huge part in the story, each chapter has the title of a different rock song, which is pretty cool. The story and motivations also seem very realistic. The point of the book is finding your own personal voice and story, and it takes her polar-opposite dad to break that to Katy. Even though the story is not a feel-good type of story, I enjoyed it. P.S. For those who would like to know, there are some cuss words in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment