Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Never Judge a Book by Its Movie

So I totally missed my weekly update last Friday, and I want to apologize to anyone reading this blog about not being consistent with it. We’ll chat a little more about some possible explanations for said bad actions on the weekly update this Friday. While I’m typing this, I think it’s amusing how much a book can affect your writing style. I just finished reading The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, and I totally feel like using “totally” and “like” a whole bunch right now. Please don’t be offended if this blog post seems a little bit shallow. Lol.

As I mentioned, I read The Princess Diaries this week (which once again turned out to be skimming through the book in one night). I must confess that I watched the movies quite a bit before I read this book, and that I read the book partially because I enjoyed the movies. It’s always interesting to look at the differences between the book and its movie, and to see which one you enjoy more. More often than not, the book is going to be better than the movie. You get such a better feel for the characters in a book, and you get very different emotional and mental reactions from reading a book rather than watching a movie. But, while I type this blog post, I’m not sure which I like better; the book or the movie.

I know for certain that I enjoy, Joe, from the movies much more than I enjoy, Lars, from the book. I also know I enjoy Julie Andrews’ character much more in the movies than the Grandmere character in the book. There also seems to be a little more character development in the movie. But, I have to qualify that. I have only read the first novel, and there are plenty more in the series. I’m assuming the Mia character grows quite a bit from the person she starts as.

Movies can only tell you a story from what the characters do, while a book can tell you what a character thinks. I imagine the books have been enjoyed because it gives you a good look at what a typical nerdy high school girl would go through if she suddenly found she was the heir to a country. The books are written as the journal of Mia, and are filled with scribbling about homework and everyday things that we all think but never say. Its fun to think that a princess, however fictional, has to deal with Algebra homework like the rest of us. There is also something fun about a character babbling about what happens to them. But, there is also something fun about a filmmaker taking this story and adapting it to the silver screen. I think I enjoy the movie a little more than the book, but that could just be because I watched the movie before I read the book…

No comments:

Post a Comment