Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Am I Next?

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

Why did I read it?

I always find myself interested as to why I open my Book Blurts with this question. Often times I think someone might read a book because of some of the reasons that I read a book, but I can never be sure if this question is helpful or boring. What do you think?

If it were to be helpful it might be because it mentions stuff like this book winning the 1989 Coretta Scott King Award for outstanding African-American contributions to children and young adult literature.

What happened?

Richie Perry just graduated from high school at seventeen, and is now sitting on a plane bound for Vietnam. Even though he wasn't for or against the war in Vietnam, he didn't think he had any better options at home. But, nothing could have prepared Perry for what he was in for. Whether its convincing locals that American are the "good guys" or surviving a Viet Cong attack, Perry begins to realize that he will never be the same after his time "in country." 

What did I like or not like?

Even though this isn't an easy read, I do think it is an important read. As someone who has never been in war, I think its easy to forget what men and women have done for our country. This book, and others like it, give us a glimpse into a terrible situation that we can only imagine without them.

In addition to a very realistic look at being a soldier during the Vietnam War, this book also deals with racism, death, killing, reasons or the lack thereof for fighting in war, and camaraderie between "brothers in arms."

Another interesting thing I found is that the author joined the army at seventeen just like Perry.

P.S. This book contains cussing, crude jokes and discussions, and some graphic violence. But, being a novel on war, I don't think it would be very realistic if it didn't include these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment