Monday, March 26, 2012

States of Matter Experiments

Another great idea for a science experiments program is talking about states of matter. I found some fun websites to help with these ideas, and another related topic I found was the surface tension of water. I've attached some links and explanations of what we did :)

Anti-Gravity Water

Everyone knows that when you turn a cup full of water upside down, all the aqua spills out. But, with a rag stretched over the surface of the glass, the water will literally defy gravity.

States of Matter Explanation

I've always had a hard time visualizing the different states of matter, so when I found this quick and easy way of thinking about it, I was really excited. Basically, you use different numbers of marbles to represent each state of matter.

Surface Tension

This website had several ideas that would be fun to do. Personally I used Stretch the Surface of Water and Cut and Connect Water Droplets.

Leak-Proof Bag

If you stab a pencil through a zipper lock bag, the water is going to leak out, right? Not if the bag is made out of a special kind of molecules called polymers, which your typical zipper lock bag is :)

Bubbling Lava Lamp

This fun experiment bubbles which is always a plus, and also lets you talk about the interaction between a solid, a gas, and a liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment