Monday, April 2, 2012

Guitar Hero at My Library

As I mentioned in my last post about video games, 5 Websites for Gaming at Your Library, March was the first month we could actually do a video games program because of holidays. But, we were finally able to do it, and we had a great time.

A couple years ago, we were able to purchase a Wii, the Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock game, and 2 Wii guitars. I've used these off and on for programs in the past, so I thought it would be appropriate for Guitar Hero to be the first game we played.

While doing the program there was a couple of things that I noticed. First of all, my younger patrons had a great time helping me set up. I had a meeting right before the program, so I just a little bit behind. But, the majority of the kids didn't seem to mind as they pulled out Wii cords, synced controllers and assembled guitars :)

Another thing I noticed was that my projector didn't want to find my Wii. I just looked it up on Google, and there are plenty of other people using Wiis with a projector. But for some reason, mine wouldn't. I think I'm going to keep trying though, because video games on a bigger screen is always better.

Finally, having board and card games out while playing the video games worked really well. If it wasn't your turn to play and you didn't feel like watching, it gave you something to do. I also think its a fun way to let kids know that board and card games can be a lot of fun as well.


1 comment:

  1. I was always able to hook my projector up to both our Wii and Xbox. I hope you figure it out because bigger is definitely better when it comes to video games. For the record, I stink at guitar hero and am a great source of laughter to my teens. Hope you do better :)

    ReplyDelete