Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Am J: A Boy's Story (who was born as a girl)

I Am J by Cris Beam

Why did I read it?

I just started another library science class this summer, and it is Children's Literature for a Diverse SocietyI am J is a new book that just rolled across my desk, and it fits right along with the themes of my class.

What happened?

J might have been born a girl, Jeni, but he has known his entire life that it was a mistake. He knew that if gender was assigned, that his was assigned incorrectly. J has plodded through his life, stuck with a body that he hates and that continues to betray him. But that is all about to change.

After a certain incident with his best friend, J starts to question how he's been living. Instead of existing as a head trying to avoid his body, he wants to start making changes to his body so it is closer to what he knows he is.

But, that decision starts to dissolve his relationships with his friends, his family, and the future that he had initially planned. While that is the case, J knows this is something he has to do, and while he will try to get those other pieces back, he knows he has to be himself.

What did I like or not like?

My first assignment for my summer class is talking about books on diversity and whether they serve as a window to another culture, or a mirror about myself. These kinds of books do both for me. I am not very familiar with the LGBTQ world, so Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I Am J were a very eye-opening window into how this community thinks and exists.

But on the other hand, both books made me think about my own ideas on these topics, and how we all question who we are and who we are going to become. So, they also served as a mirror.

P.S. This book deals with a transgender main character, discussions of sex and sexual identity, and has some cussing.

No comments:

Post a Comment