Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Forever: Realistic or Substantial?

Forever... by Judy Blume

Why did I read it?

Originally written in 1975, this book has become a classic in Young Adult literature. I figured a young adult librarian should probably read the classics of his own genre =D This book was quite controversial when it was first published, and remains that way to this day. I wanted to see where I fell on that controversy.

What happened?

Katherine and Michael are both seniors in high school, and after meeting at a friend's party, they have an immediate connection. Pretty soon, they are doing everything together.

Once things get a little bit more serious, both Katherine and Michael have to decide how far they are going to take this relationship physically. Katherine is a virgin, and wants her first time to be absolutely perfect. She is pretty sure it will be with Michael because he is worth the commitment of taking it all the way.

But, things don't always go as we'd like them to. While the school year was practically perfect, they are separated for the summer, and they really have to consider whether this is a love that will last a lifetime.

What did I like or not like?

It is always interesting to read novels that were written a few years ago. Most of the time, they kind of feel dated. While that was kind of the case with this title, the situations and issues that Katherine and Michael deal with are very much still alive to this day.

Now let's get to the interesting part. What did I think about the controversy? Forever... is largely an exploration of two teens' sexuality and how that fits into love, and consequently, this book has quite a bit of sexual content and discussions in it. I think some readers will appreciate these discussions, while others probably won't, but I think it should be left on shelves so readers have a choice to decide for themselves.

One thing that did surprise me was the parallels I drew between Forever... and David Levithan's Every Day. (SPOILER ALERT) Both relationships didn't make it, and both relationships involved some sex. But I couldn't help but think that A and Rhiannon's relationship in Every Day was based on something more substantial than Katherine and Michel's relationship in Forever...


I understand that Katherine and Michael's kind of relationship is common in real life and the literary world, and as a book about a sexually active boyfriend and girlfriend, the book rings true and honest and important. This frankness and honesty is probably the main reason that it has become a classic YA work, and why it is still read to this day.

But I prefer relationships in real life and books that are a little more...substantial, worthwhile, deeper, in for the long term, able to handle some struggles?? Agree, disagree, think I'm crazy??
Let me know :)


No comments:

Post a Comment