Monday, November 19, 2012

Make Your Own Doughnuts

For a while now, I've been trying to get some Middle School programs off the ground at my library. Over the summer, we had some really fun times with Creepy Scavenger Hunt and Tell Your Own Ghost Stories, but once Fall and Winter shows up, attendance disappears. Well, until we made our own doughnuts =D

When I first started thinking about the program, I thought it might be complicated to make your own doughnuts, but it turned out I was wrong. Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts was a recipe I found on allrecipes.com that had a lot of positive reviews (reviews are awesome!), and the doughnuts themselves turned out to be awesome!

Unless you have a two hour time slot for your program, I would suggest making the actual dough beforehand. (FYI for those who don't know about about cooking, if the yeast won't foam, add a little sugar for the yeast to start eating. Worked like a charm for me, and thank you awesome coworkers for giving me this tip!)

One thing I wasn't planning on, but the students really enjoyed, was making their doughnuts into different shapes. Some looked like stars, pretzels, and twists, while others stuck to a more traditional shape.

The Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts recipe is based on cooking them in oil, and I let each student dunk their own. Please explain that they should place them in the oil instead of dropping them in the oil =D Once the doughnuts were cooked, the recipe called for a glaze. But we decided to melt some chocolate chips with a little butter and made a chocolate sauce instead.

When all was said and done, we had some delicious doughnuts and some happy Middle Schoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment