Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Around the World: A Historic Graphic Novel

Around the World by Matt Phelan

Why did I read it?

Every month or so, I get a couple library magazines that roll across my desk. One of the main ones is VOYA (Voices of Youth Advocates). VOYA has great articles that deal with teen programming, and they also have a huge list of book reviews.

Around the World was one of the ones that my eye, so I asked our Acquisitions Librarian (the lady that orders our books) to buy us a copy. I'm always wondering if the books that I order because of a book review are any good, so I couldn't resist reading it. I'm really glad I did.

What happened?

In 1873, Jules Verne wrote the intrepid novel, Around the World in 80 Days, in which Phileas Fogg makes a wager to circumvent the globe in under 80 days. Inspired by that story, actual travelers sought to circle the globe. Matt has assembled three of these real-life stories into a fantastic graphic novel adventure.

Thomas Stevens road a bicycle around the world (boated over the ponds lol) to be remembered. Nellie Bly, girl reporter, did it to prove that she could. Joshua Slocum, a well-known sea captain, traveled around the world in a second rate ship as he mourned the loss of his first wife.

What did I like or not like?

When I first read the review for this one, I thought it was just an author inspired by the writings of Verne who knew a good idea when he saw one. Little did I know that there were real life people that went all the way around the world shortly after Around the World in 80 Days was published. Telling these actual events in graphic form, mixing in quotes from the traveler's journals, and pondering why they did what they did makes for a very interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment